Editor, The Triple Helix (Melbourne University Chapter)
March 2012- December 2012
- Edited science and health articles to publication standards while working with writers to improve their writing and ideas.
Columnist, The MUHI Bulletin
February 2012- December 2012
- Wrote a column focusing on students with various illnesses and disabilities topics included; HIV/AIDS and Diabetes.
Radio Reporter and Producer, Panorama (SYN 90.7fm)
September 2009- July 2012
- Produced news segments and feature stories for the daily current affairs program, Panorama. Topics covered included; politics, environmental issues, human rights and rural affairs.
Media Officer, La Isla Foundation, Nicaragua
August- September 2011
- Led the creation and effective use of social media as a tool for community outreach and promotion, interviewed community members for blog posts and photography/video projects.
Reporting Internship, The Standard Newspaper
- Wrote news articles for the daily newspaper alongside interviewing, following leads and fact checking. Additionally wrote feature pieces for the community newspapers, ‘The Moyne Gazette’ and ‘Warrnambool Extra’
Media Director and Project Manager, Global Aid Partnerships (GAPS) Australia
- Created ‘The Elimisha Project’, which aims to create a health magazine for young Kenyan women, and led a team to develop the project from its inception to the final edition.
- Worked as the ‘Media Director’ for GAPS whereby I developed an e- newsletter, facilitated intern communications between teams and projects, updated content and images online and utilized social media to promote the organisation and its values.
“As a Media Intern Alessandra has shown a great sense of self- initiative and has created photos, videos and blog posts which have significantly improved La Isla Foundation’s visability on the web. Her contribution to the La Isla Foundation and to the community had a great impact on all of us and she will be surely missed.”
- Viola Cassetti, la Isla Foundaiton General Coordinator
“Alessandra is an outstanding candidate in every respect. Not only is her written work of the highest standard, but her enthusiastic contributions to group discussion evince a strong collaborative ethic, excellent interpersonal skills and a genuine love of learning. Her confident, articulate oral presentation and demonstrated aptitude for independent research round out the picture of a mature and motivated student and journalist.”
- Hugh McNaughton, Lecturer and Coordinator at School of Culture and Communication, University of Melbourne
“Alessandra has an exacting eye as a writer and has demonstrated a good ability to research, write and respond to critical and editorial feedback. She also has a well-developed ability to work independently and to respond accurately and efficiently to briefs.”
- Adam Ford, Youthcentral Content Editor